Learning Games Lab Think Tank Blog

This is the online diary for our three week Games Lab Think Tank... It is a private blog... which means we can use names of kids in it.

Monday, February 20, 2006

What they *don't* know in Roller Coaster Tycoon

Every time I do an observation in the game lab, it seems I am reminded by one consistent fact... "Kids who play games" are not all alike. Each has preferences, and challenges and interests that differ from the next.

For example, when playing Roller Coaster Tycoon, Amanda told Karin that she didn't like doing the tutorial (though she had experience with previous versions of the games), yet Kailey told me that she did the tutorial for a while, but got bored and then moved into playing the game. When I asked in the game how she learned a specific thing, she toled me it was in the tutorial.

I was surprised at things that I thought would be inherently obvious, that Kailey missed. (I don't know why I was surprised... i have played a lot more games than she has, so there are things I just know "should be able to be done"... she doesn't have that experience.) For example, when I put the entrance to one of my rides in the wrong place, I asked her how we could move it. She told me we couldn't and that we had to delete the ride and put it in again. This is a small thing, but it reveals two things:
  1. We assume kids are just a natural with the game, yet they don't have a sense of "what should be able to be done"... such as making small changes. Because they don't have this sense, they may not always search for the smartest solution, they will just go with what works.
  2. This seems small, but if we measure any kind of progress or success in the game based on earnings, these kinds of mistakes are very expensive... it would be wise to advise kids on these kinds of tricks, to make their overall gameplay smarter.


The kids weren't "opposed" to math... but didn't really see how it fit. I asked them if they would be interested in a challenge on Monday where they competed to build theme parks based on simple math ideas, and they were enthusiastic. I don't know if it was because of the chance to play RCT again, or if they liked the idea of a competition.

1 Comments:

At 12:57 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

Certainly kids don't think like adults, they have their own way of thinking and solving problems so what you view as smartest solution is merely an alternative solution.

I think another thing to note here is that some students had experience with Roller Coaster and many students were following their lead as to what could and couldn't be done. If they really find it interesting they are going to spend the time with the game, if not they will only exploring the surface. To them it makes no difference if they need to just get through it.

There were a couple of students who were viewed as "experts" and when the others got stuck they had no problem going to the student experts for a solution. It was easier than solving it themselves even if it didn't offer what we as adults perceive as the best solution.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home